"The historic brick building at the foot of Main Street that began life
in 1772 as the counting house of prosperous whaling merchant William
Rotch fought the Great Fire of 1846 to a draw. Its interior was gutted
and charred, but its brick shell unbowed.
"It’s survived countless brutal winters whose freezing and thawing
cracked its masonry, smaller fires on all three of its floors, and
numerous tenants from the Chamber of Commerce and the county court to a
pair of television stations and a photographer’s studio."
No comments:
Post a Comment